Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Miss Crump's Blackboard
  Visit iMayberry.com for more Mayberry fun.
  Home iMayberryCommunity Mayberry.info HelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
mystery filming location (Read 3597 times)
Feb 16th, 2009 at 10:08am

retro   Offline
I Love Mayberry!
Virginia

Does anyone have any idea where this scene was filmed?  Presumably, it is not on the backlot, but somewhere in the Hollywood / Culver City vicinity.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 10:36am

Pierre   Offline
Say what you want dahhhhling,
but I married Ellen!

I think we've seen this building before on the old board.  Concensus at the time was that it was a Park's building up at Franklin Canyon Reservoir (Myers Lake).  The script indicated it was employed as a restaurant:  Morelli's?  It might still be extant.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 11:59am

Briscoe Darling   Offline
"You arguin' with me?"
Ruffton, NC

In this episode, you can see the "Mom's Diner" at the beginning when Andy, Peggy, Barney and Thelma Lou come walking out.

It's definitely on the 40 Acres lot, but I'm not sure where. I would guess somewhere near the "Gomer Pyle USMC" set or maybe near "Stalag 13"

"Thought about killin' him, kinda hated to go that far"
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:30pm

retro   Offline
I Love Mayberry!
Virginia

I think Pierre is on the right track.  Not to be hornery with ya Briscoe, but I'm all but certain it's not on the 40 Acres backlot.   That hill, for one thing, is immediately beyond the building in the first pic, and even if it were a telephoto-induced illusion, it's not Baldwin Hills.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:50pm

"You arguin' with me?"
Ruffton, NC

Off the top of my head, the only other location that I can think of that it might be, would be near where "MASH" was filmed about 10 years later.  Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:58pm

Pierre   Offline
but I married Ellen!

If you do a Mapquest search for Franklin Canyon, Beverly Hills, you should come up with an option for the Franklin Canyon Reservoir.  (I just did it).

The FCReservoir is actually two 'lakes'  An upper and a lower.  The canyon roads go bascially north to south on either side of the two reservoirs.  

Switch from [Street map] to [Aerial Map] and you'll be using the satellite image and can see the building and such.

The building suspected of being the one depicted could be the building at the north end of the north (upper) lake, which was Myers Lake. Not the big one situated north to south, the one just to the north east, situated mostly west to east.  It's just south of Mulholland on Franklin Canyon Drive.

I have no confirmation that this IS the building, but it is a likely suspect and would be neat to visit if in the area.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 3:07pm

"You arguin' with me?"
Ruffton, NC

You might want to listen to the podcast by our Principal, who has been there and has posted some pics and directions to Franklin Canyon and the reservoir.

www.mayberry.com/podcasts ;  You can then find the podcast entitled "Franklin Canyon Reservoir"  There is also links to the pics taken.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 3:34pm

Pierre   Offline
but I married Ellen!

Although... there is a building at the dam end of the lake that is more likely...   We need to send up the Tarheels to reconoiter.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:37am

retro   Offline
I Love Mayberry!
Virginia

Here is a broader (taller) view of the mystery location, along with lake scenes from the same episode..."Andy's Rich Girlfriend."   This really doesn't look like the Franklin Canyon location, but I could be wrong.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2009 at 3:31pm by retro »  
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:22pm

Pierre   Offline
but I married Ellen!

Boy, oh boy, That doesn't look like the berm built around part of the perimeter of the 40lot, so that's out.  Could be Baldwin hills, but.. I still think it could be Franklin Canyon, but I cannot say for sure.  It surely does not look like a props department made body of water like on Gilligan's Island.

Remember the building is of wood frame construction and is at least 50 years old.  It may not still be standing,  but if well maintained it could still be standing, but in a different form, possibly added onto.

It might also be the set used in A Feud is a Feud, where Andy has the feudees switch shot guns and step-off 10 paces, which they didn't do, of course.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:56pm

Orville Monroe   Offline
I Love Mayberry!
Gone Fishin Somewhere

The third picture from the bottom puts me in mind of the outside long shot of where Andy went to shot crows in 'A Perfect Female' but that could just be old age talking. Have to check the DVD later. Grin

We'd no more kill a carp than we would a pike!
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:24am

uncle nat   Offline
Hey, you ain't Uncle Nat....you're
a goat!
greencastle

"Watch the crayfish Barn!"

One wrong move and we'll all go PLOOWIE!
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:46pm

retro   Offline
I Love Mayberry!
Virginia

One contact has suggested that this looks like the Lake Sherwood area, just south of Thousand Oaks in Los Angeles County.    A few images on Flickr titled "Filming at Lake Sherwood" show ground-level views that support this.   Anyone here from the L.A. area or who otherwise might be familiar with Lake Sherwood?

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 9:19am

Pierre   Offline
but I married Ellen!

Some of those hills look like the ones where the reality show, "Biggest Loser" is filmed.  But, then again, once you've seen one hill you've seen 'em all... right?

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 9:23am

Mayberry Citizen   Offline
I Love Mayberry!

Lake Sherwood is an interesting possibility, although I'm not aware that TAGS used it during filming of the series. Lake Sherwood (now the ultra-expensive Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks) was a very popular filming location, especially during Hollywood's golden age. The first few seasons of The Dukes of Hazzard were filmed there just before it was sold for golf course development. Here's a link to present day Lake Sherwood: http://www.sherwoodcc.com/ as well as a photo of the lake: http://www.sherwoodcountryclub.com/default.aspx?p=.NETCEEditorPFSTC&NoNav=1&ID=2...
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2009 at 9:40am by Mayberry Citizen »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print