Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Miss Crump's Blackboard
  Check The eBullet Archives for all the issues of The eBullet, the TAGSRWC official eNewsletter, for all kinds of Mayberry news.
  Home iMayberryCommunity Mayberry.info HelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Barney's landlady and the sweetheart swindler (Read 3859 times)
Jan 14th, 2012 at 2:02am

Andyfan   Offline
Everything's OK in Mayberry!

Watching this reminded me of why I so love TAGS. Watching Barney try to hide his illicit cooking in the no-cooking boarding house was hilarious and so was the landlady's reaction. Then, along with the comedy, we have a sense of domestic warmth in Barney's continuing concern for her when he realizes she's likely to be defrauded. Also, the episode showed that Barney, for all his childishness, could be discerning as his impression of the swain was right on the money (no pun intended).
What do others think of this episode?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 9:53am

Andy Paul Lawson   Offline
Everythings okay in Mayberry.
Little Rock AR

I think Barney made a sloppy drunk.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 10:20pm

Squad Car   Offline

Andyfan wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 2:02am:
Watching Barney try to hide his illicit cooking in the no-cooking boarding house was hilarious and so was the landlady's reaction.

You've got to feel for Mrs. Mendelbright though.  After all, that dresser Barney was cooking on top of came by bus all the way from Fort Lauderdale.  That's some 800 miles away, you know!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 12:30pm

Thelscuz   Offline

The idea that Barney would think he could cook chili with all those exotic spices he showed Andy and Mrs. Mendlebright not smell it is hilarious, to begin with.  I wonder if Mrs. M had just been letting him get away with it and finally got fed up?

After all, Barney had been furnishing the cider for their "sitting on the porch and counting the cars" evenings.

I've never been sure whether Barney was really as strapped for cash as he pretended or if he was just a little tight in the wallet area (aka cheap).  He did have the ready money when he got ready to buy his first car.  And don't forget about all that cash he spent on his parents' new septic tank!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 12:36pm

HistoryBuff   Offline
Nip it! Nip it! Nip it!
Chicagoland

Thelscuz wrote on Jan 17th, 2012 at 12:30pm:
I've never been sure whether Barney was really as strapped for cash as he pretended or if he was just a little tight in the wallet area (aka cheap).  He did have the ready money when he got ready to buy his first car.  And don't forget about all that cash he spent on his parents' new septic tank!

I don't think there's any doubt that Barney was a tightwad. Remember when he tried to convince Juanita that their date should be spent in front of her TV with her cooking instead of him paying for dinner somewhere? And his horror at the possibility of paying for a taxi to take Thelma Lou to the dentist? And him trying to finagle Opie's money out of his piggy bank to pay for a Chinese dinner? I'm sure there are many more examples, but those are the ones that quickly come to my mind.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 5:58pm

Bradley   Offline
I Love Mayberry!

Barney freely admitted in 'Thelma dentist' episode that he and Thelma always went dutch...lol

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 6:29pm

juaneets head to feet   Offline
You wear your uniform,
and I'll wear my uniform!
Oklahoma

Bradley wrote on Jan 17th, 2012 at 5:58pm:
Barney freely admitted in 'Thelma dentist' episode that he and Thelma always went dutch...lol

And she bought Gomer breakfast, must have set her back more than 70 cents.

Cockadoodle doo!  Cockadoodle doo!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 8:49pm

tiltjlp   Offline
She Was A Sweet Cat
Cheviot Ohio

He squeezed a nickel so tight he'd bruise the buffalo.

John
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 9:17am

Pierre   Offline
Say what you want dahhhhling,
but I married Ellen!

Barney was a tight wad, except when it came to purchasing gewgaws and doodads.  He's seen with transistor radios, cymbals, binoculars, portable TV.  If he were around today he'd have one of them fancy smarty pants phones, a new one every few months.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 1:01pm

Thelscuz   Offline

And Barney was a great one for auctions.  Remember when he went to "the police auction" (or something like that) and came back with Count Itsvan, or whatever his name was--the supernatural one.  "He lives..."

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 6:54pm

Hog Winslow   Offline
I Love Mayberry!
Gardendale, Alabama

I don't trust him. And ya wanna know why? A, a guy moves into town. Two, he has NO job. And C, he wants to marry Mrs. Bendelmright.

"Just jump in where you can and hang on!"
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 7:48pm

juaneets head to feet   Offline
You wear your uniform,
and I'll wear my uniform!
Oklahoma

Barney, that ciders turned hard!

Cockadoodle doo!  Cockadoodle doo!
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 9:01am

Hungry Buzzard   Offline
Hey Peg! Wher'd you put
the pickles?
Peg's house

Re: Barney's tightwad tendencies, my late mother-in-law (bless her heart) once called me cheap. I replied that a person has to have money in order to be considered cheap. If you don't have any money, you're not cheap - you're just BROKE. I don't think Barney was excessively cheap, he just didn't have much disposable income, therefore he had to be pretty frugal with what he had.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 12:22pm

Malcolm Tucker   Offline
I can peel an apple without
breaking the peeling!

Off the top of my head, I can't recall the maximum wattage of light bulbs that Barney's landlady requested be used.

Does anyone recall?

"For the love of Mike...do it, do it, just do it! Go take a nap! Go to Thelma Lou's for TV!"
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 12:46pm

Hog Winslow   Offline
I Love Mayberry!
Gardendale, Alabama

The lease called for no more than a 40- watt bulb, and Barney was using a whopping 75- watter. And, he kept it on all night.

"snoop! bulb-snatcher"

"Just jump in where you can and hang on!"
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print