Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Miss Crump's Blackboard
  Check The eBullet Archives for all the issues of The eBullet, the TAGSRWC official eNewsletter, for all kinds of Mayberry news.
  Home iMayberryCommunity Mayberry.info HelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
R.I.P. John Rich, 86, USMC Director (Read 734 times)
Jan 29th, 2012 at 7:00pm

Shemp   Offline
Flanders, NJ

Emmy-winning director John Rich has died at age 86.

From 1967 - 1969, John Rich directed 26 episodes of GOMER PYLE USMC.

John's Emmy Awards were for episodes of ALL IN THE FAMILY and THE DICK VAN D YKE SHOW.  From 1971 - 1974 he directed 81 episodes of ALL IN THE FAMILY, including the memorable "Sammy's Visit;" John also served as that series' Producer from 1972 - 1974.

Other series he directed over the years were OUR MISS BROOKS, GUNSMOKE, BONANZA, BENSON, THAT GIRL, GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, THE BRADY BUNCH and MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT.  Rich directed a couple theatrical features starring Elvis Presley, and one with Jerry Lewis.  He was also Executive Producer of the adventure series MACGYVER.

From the mid-1950s to early 1960s, John was married to Desilu's choreographer Sylvia Lewis ("Banjo Playing Deputy," "The Senior Play," "A Singer in Town").

A few TV milestone moments directed by John Rich...

ALL IN THE FAMILY  "Sammy's Visit"

THE DICK VAN D YKE SHOW  "That's My Boy?"

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND  "Pilot / Two on a Raft"

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 8:24am

Pierre   Offline
Say what you want dahhhhling,
but I married Ellen!

The Sammy Davis, Jr. episode was an absolute riot.  Archie trying not to be racist, but it just came shining through.  Then the last scene where Archie agrees to a photo being taken of him and SD,Jr.   Grin  Classic!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:02pm

Keevy Hazelton   Offline
Ocean View, VA

So sorry to hear the news of Mr. Rich's passing. He had a hand in so many of my favorite TV moments. Thanks for the laughs Mr. Rich.

Archie: "Edith, open up a fresh box of Twinkies for Mr. Davis here."

"Don't take no nerve to do something when there ain't nothin' else you can do."....Tom Joad
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print